Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Religion over science? Not that simple

I wrote this piece after learning that Abbott had dumped the Ministry of Science from the Cabinet. Many people have been saying that it's simply a case of religion over science. I believe, in general, religion and science can co-exist, but religion has no place in Parliament. Abbott made his personal views about Climate Change known long before the election and they have little to do with religion, but was anyone really listening?

It might surprise you to learn that I am a Christian. At the moment it seems as if many Christians have gone to the right side of politics. I however believe Christianity is founded on the principles of love and kindness towards fellow human beings - 'lefty' principles. For example I, like many Christians, am for equal marriage. It is interesting to me that despite what most people think Christians believe the Facebook group "Christians for Gay Marriage " has far more people in it than the one against gay marriage. It is unfortunate that most people just listen to the loudest voice, that of Cardinal Pell or Abbott.

I got into trouble once in a Facebook group for saying that I "believe in" science as well as religion. Science the respondent said was not something you believed in, it was fact. And this is true to a large degree. A proven scientific fact is just that - fact. Most Christians, such as myself have no problem with this. We don't actually believe in Adam and Eve and Noah's Ark. There is no conflict between religion and science. For me both exist.

But we must have a separation of Church and State. Our society is multicultural and multi-faith and becoming more and more secular. The prayers said at the beginning of Parliament are meaningless. For example they say a prayer before ripping into each other in Question Time -not the forgiving Christian attitude I was brought up on. But this isn't even the main reason. Our ethics, standards and laws cannot be simply based on one religion, or worse one person's interpretation of that religion. We need to be inclusive - as inclusive as our broad society.

Some have argued that religion is to blame for all the evils in the world. I obviously do not believe this to be the case. Certainly religion has been used as an excuse for a lot of evil and the covering up of a lot of evil. I don't condone any of that. Neither do I wish to go into my disgust over that in detail here. Suffice to say that it is an excuse, not the cause and it certainly doesn't excuse. There is plenty of evil in the world unrelated to religion. I don't think Murdoch is particularly religious.

As recently as July 2009 Tony Abbott said "I think the climate change science is far from settled." Source  Although whether he actually knows it exists is debatable. Now he has rid us of the Ministry's of Science and Climate Change. Is religion at fault here? Possibly he bases his personal views on his own version of religious beliefs. Whatever they are. But whatever they are they should NOT have any bearing on his Parliamentary decision making process. We, all of us have our belief systems, not all are based on religion, but it the duty of our elected officials to represent the majority. The majority of Scientists, indeed the majority of Australians agree that Climate Change is a huge issue - one of the biggest we face. Whatever Abbott's personal beliefs and whatever they are based on, he has a duty to represent us. Plenty of very religious people KNOW Climate Change exists and KNOW we are responsible. If he does not know, it is not religion, it is just him.

As I said before I am a Christian. But I am not Tony Abbott and Abbott does not share my views of even being Christian to a very large extent. Before you get judgmental on all religion, remember we aren't all like Tony Abbott (or Cardinal Pell.)

I know many of you could vehemently disagree with me. Remember I am NOT in any way condoning the acts of religious organizations in covering up systemic  crime. I will leave that to Cardinal Pell.  Crime should be punished, whenever and wherever it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment