Saturday, September 21, 2013

More Women's Troubles

At the risk of repeating myself Abbott is having Women Troubles. Again. As I had suspected he has only one women in his cabinet and this is Julia Bishop, the Foreign Affairs Minister. So she will be away for a fair amount of the year.

If this is not bad enough, and it is pretty bad, he has appointed himself as Minister of Women's Affairs. As a woman I find this outrageous.

Here are some reasons:

“Abortion is the easy way out. It’s hardly surprising that people should choose the most convenient exit from awkward situations.” March 17th, 2004

“While I think men and women are equal, they are also different and I think it's inevitable and I don't think it's a bad thing at all that we always have, say, more women doing things like physiotherapy and an enormous number of women simply doing housework.” 2010

“The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience.” March 17th 2004

“I won't be rushing out to get my daughters vaccinated [for cervical cancer], maybe that's because I'm a cruel, callow, callous, heartless bastard but, look, I won't be.” November 9th, 2006

“I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... [their virginity] is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.” January 27th 2010

Sources: tonyabbott.com, Herald Sun News, The Sydney Morning Herald, theaustralian.com, abc.net

Also:  http://www.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3885263

The general reaction from women is hardly surprising under the circumstances.

A few tweets included:

@Kon__K: Putting @tonyabbottmhr in charge of Women's Affairs is like asking Pauline Hanson to run #Refugee Week. #auspol

@EvaBuzo: Tony help! As Minister for Women can you help me with my mascara? @TonyAbbottMHR http://twitter.com/EvaBuzo/status/381247895715864577/photo/1

@GoldCoaster13: What better way to keep women down is to put yourself in charge of them @tonyabbottmhr #auspol #qldpol

And those were just a few of many.
I am interested in hearing others views.

Right now I'm just disappointed, but not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment